Institute for good governance and policies in environment and climate change
A brief history
The Institute for good governance and policies in environment and climate change – Skopje (IPECC) as a non-governmental organization was established in 2000 in order to contribute to the social development of the country by implementing activities in the field of environment, cultural and development. At first it started working as a Center for Environmental and Cultural Development, but in 2021 it was decided to change to its current name in order easily to be recognized the goals of the organization. Namely, over the time, the environment and climate change became the dominant area in which the activities of the Institute were carried out, thus decided to fully target its goals and actions in this area. At the same time, the process of integration of the Republic of North Macedonia in the European Union was a reason to go deeper into the analysis and improvement of policies and management of Chapter 27 – environment and climate change, in improving the legal framework and the knowledge of all stakeholders for this field. During its existence, the Institute has cooperated with state and local government bodies, international organizations and embassies, as well as with the private sector.
Promoting sustainable development and good governance in the environment and climate change by developing and implementing policies that contribute to environmental protection and achieving climate-neutral development.
- Monitoring and participation in the process of development of planning documents for environment and climate change, and their harmonization with the EU and global policies in this area,
- Improving the legal framework in the sector environment and climate change and encouraging transparency and public consultation in the legislation development,
- Supporting the process of accession of the Republic of North Macedonia to the EU, by supporting activities aiming further approximation in Chapter 27 – Environment and Climate Change,
- Initiation and implementation of activities for protection of the environment and climate change, protection of the soil from pollution, encouragement of permaculture and sustainable agriculture,
- Encouraging activities aimed for implementation of circular economy and the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans,
- Promoting the dialogue between the non-governmental sector, the business community and the state and local administration during the EU accession process,
- Initiate and implement activities aimed at establishing good governance in the environment and climate action, establishing international cooperation and global connectivity.
In its 20 years of operation, IPECC has established cooperation with numerus national and international experts working in the field of environment and climate change. At the same time, the IPECC maintain a list of immediately available experts who can be called at any time if needed.
The core team consists of several members who devote part of their time to achieve the IPECC objectives.