Activities and implemented projects
IPECC in its 20 years of operation has implemented many projects dedicated on promotion and protection of environment and climate change, strengthening administrative capacity for management in environment on central and local level, improving the legislation and supporting its implementation, as well promotion of culture and cultural heritage. Below are presented some of the most important projects.
Latest projects and activities
Public Awareness Campaign for Development of the Law on Noise Protection in Environment and Approximation of the Legislation in Water
In cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning (MoEPP) implemented the project “Public Awareness Campaign for Development of the Law on Noise Protection in Environment and Approximation of the Legislation in Water” (2006 – 2008). The project was financed and realized with a support from the British Embassy in Skopje. The main purpose of the project was to raise public awareness for the preparation of the Law on Noise Protection and assessment of the compliance of the Draft Water Law with the relevant EU Legislation. Several regional workshops were organised for the purpose of involving the public and relevant stakeholders into the finalization of the Law on Noise Protection and in decision-making process. Also, support was provided in drafting the Law on Noise Protection and Water Law, including secondary legislation.
Cooperation with UN/ECE
- In 2009 and 2010 based on a Memorandums of Understanding signed with UN/ECE, has organised workshops in order to inform the public and the state and local authorities of rights and obligation of the UN/ECE Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (Water Convention) and PEP Workshop on Sustainable and healthy urban transport policies in “South‐east Europe”.
- Related to Climate Change, in 2009 has developed an “Assessment of the Institutional and Legal Framework for Climate Change in the Republic of Macedonia for Implementation of the UNFCCC Obligations“ funded by UN/ECE.
Together for climate
In October 2008, together with few respectable non-governmental organizations in North Macedonia was involved in project to support environmental management and established the first Macedonian network for combating climate changes called “Together for climate”.
Let’s Clean Our Streets
- Other important project was “Let’s Clean Our Streets” within the campaign “Clean Streets for All” implemented in 2008 – 2009 in cooperation with MoEPP. Within the project several training sessions were organised for the police officers, state and municipal inspectors for environment, for more effective enforcement of the Law of Waste Management (LWM) and its penalty provisions. In addition, several activities and events were realised in order to raise public awareness and responsibility of the citizens for appropriate waste disposal and waste separation.
- In 2009 in cooperation with the MoEPP and the private sector implemented a public awareness campaign for implementation of the Order for ban of usage of plastic shopping bags. This campaign continued in the course of 2010.
Development of Eco labelling criteria
- With British Embassy in Skopje support, a project was implemented related to development of two eco-labelling criteria for tourist accommodations and detergent for manual dish washing. Within the project several trainings and workshops for eco-labelling criteria were organised for stakeholders and owners of the tourist accommodations in North Macedonia. Also, were organised and facilitated several public debates for adoption of eco-labelling criteria for tourist accommodation and detergent for manual dish washing (2007 – 2008).
- In September 2009 – March 2010 prepared a Feasibility study for introduction of eco‐labelling criteria for soups and shampoos in the North Macedonia based on the MoEPP request.
- In 2015 – 2016 a project was implemented related to development of Feasibility Study for ECO-labelling criterion for cement that was financed by a private company.
- In 2016 – 2017, were developed ECO-labelling criteria for several products, financed by the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning and the private sectors
Supporting Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) practice in Macedonia
In partnership with the Netherlands Commission for Environment Assessment, was implemented the project “Supporting Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) practice in Macedonia” (January 2010 – March 2012) as subcontractor. The project was implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning. Within the project were developed amendments to the Law on Environment regarding transposition of the SEA directive and were prepared related secondary legislation. Also, several trainings were delivered for SEA on national and local level, and support was provided to the City of Skopje and MoEPP in preparation of SEA reports for several planning documents.
Cooperation with the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
With the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, as local partner was implemented a two-year project related to EU Integration Process where end beneficiary was the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning (2010 – 2012). IPECC was responsible for administrative support, organisation of events/workshops, engaging local experts and preparation of progress reports.
Cooperation with Netherland’s authorities
- In 2010, based on a Memorandum of Understanding with NL EVD International of the Netherlands, organised Workshops/trainings within the Project for the Environmental Liability Directive for civil servants and stakeholders in North Macedonia.
- During March – September 2011, implemented the project with the National Institute for Public Health and Environment (RIVM) from the Netherlands related to transposition and implementation of the Noise Directive in North Macedonia. Main activities were related to logistically support the organization of three Workshops and engaging national experts.
- In June 2010, implemented a 9-month project related to “Preparation of the Guidelines and conducting trainings for estimation of the fees for issuing IPPC permits”. Within the project the guidelines was prepared and several workshops were organised for the approval of the guidelines.
- In the course of 2016 – 2018 IPECC was a junior partner in three cross border cooperation projects with Greece and Bulgaria that were related to environment and protection of nature.
- In 2018 – 2020 IPECC has prepared several Plans for waste management for private sector for different waste management streams.
- In 2020 has prepared Plan for stakeholders’ involvement for packaging waste streams aiming to support the preparation of the Extended producer responsibility legislation, financed by the private sector.